4 Reasons You Need to Align Your Work with Your PurposeDec 05, 2018
“When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” — Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
Are you stuck in work that's unfulfilling, or at worst soul-sucking? Have you been staring at the Starbuck's Barista thinking, "I should just quit and work here?"
Or are you a "rationalizer." You know, one of those people who tells herself that work is called “work” for a reason. That you should be grateful to have job. You also rationalize the fact that you're good at what you do, make good money and are respected. What more is there?
After all, enjoyment is really only reserved for children and retirees.
If you're feeling this way it's a classic sign that you haven't quite yet found your purpose and are most likely not doing your life's work. But you're not alone.
I remember when I was struggling and justifying why I needed to stay put. But in my heart and mind I wanted to leave. Even my body turned against me as I was plagued with chronic colds, bronchitis, and multiple bouts of the flu. It was crazy.
Ultimately, I realized the paralyzing factor that kept me put was.......drumroll please......fear.
However, once I learned to move through the fear, I found there were tremendous advantages of knowing my life's purpose and aligning that with my life's work. The good news is, that's available for you too.
Believe me, the advantages are far reaching, and from personal experience, life changing.
Here's 4 Reason You Need to Start NOW:
1. Gain Focus & Clarity
Napoleon Hill said, “There is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it."
When you’re not clear on your purpose, it’s hard to make effective decisions. Successful people have a definite sense of direction. Lacking direction, focus, and purpose will prevent you from doing the work you're meant to do in the world.
2. Have More Fun
When you know your purpose and live it each day, life has the opportunity to be more enjoyable. With your fears and doubts in the rearview mirror, you’re in a better position to align your work and purpose and do work you love. The author of Brave: 50 Everyday Acts of Courage to Thrive in Work, Love and Life, Margie Warrell noted,
"Knowing your why is an important first step in figuring out how to achieve the goals that excite you and create a life you enjoy living."
There's a lot to be said for the comfort and security that comes from knowing.
3. Enhance Your Passion.
Spending your day on the things that are most important to you will release your passion. You’ll feel the curiosity and enthusiasm you once had as a child. When you're doing work that has personal meaning and value and showcases your strengths and superpowers, your future is compelling and unstoppable. This is missing from a life without a clear purpose.
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~ Howard Thurman
4. Become Part of Something Bigger
We all have a purpose. It's through our uniqueness and values that we can make a significant and meaningful contribution to the world. You are one of a kind. while it's not easy to be our true authentic self in every situation, but when we can, our authenticity creates higher levels of empowerment and permission for others to do the same. As Marianne Williamson noted, when we let our light shine we allow others to let their light shine as well.
Here's an infographic for you that summarizes these key points:
The one question that my clients find most challenging to answer is, "who are you?" We've been conditioned to respond with a title or what we do like lawyer, mother, teacher, or student. But that's not who we are.
Finding your life purpose helps you to discover what you should be doing; and whether or not it's aligned with your work. It's the only way to find greater fulfillment in life.
Too many of us have the attitude that "work" is to be taken literal and as a result only 13% of people actually like going to work. What's happening to the other 87%?
When you can align who you are, what you do and your purpose, then you'll:
- Have greater focus and clarity;
- Have more fun;
- Have more passion for life; and
- Make a greater impact on the world.
If you haven’t taken the time to align your work with your purpose, the quality of your experience will be limited. Clarity of purpose is important for every kind of success, particularly in your career.
I invite you to explore my self-study course "Dare to Be Authentically YOU" and take the journey of self-discovery to who you are, your purpose and how to center it into your life's work. It's a powerful exploration.
See you on the other side.
Live, laugh and unapologetically shine,