Working from home comes with its own set of benefits, distractions, and frustrations that are quite different from those you find in the regular workplace.
Can you really work at home and achieve your career goals? The answer is up to you!
These thoughtful questions and informative tips can guide you toward successfully working at home:
1. Where can you devote space in your home to your work? Although it doesn't have to be a whole room, you'll need a desk and a couple of drawers designated for your work.
2. Do you possess a strong work ethic and personal responsibility? If you're able to set a time to start working in your home office and follow through with it, then you're one more step closer to being successful in working at home.
3. Are others in your home during the workday that might cause distractions? Talking with your loved ones about working from home is important to your success. Get a commitment from them to support you in your endeavor to help reduce interruptions while you're working.
4. Can you screen out other distractions? Neighborhood kids playing outdoors, noisy cars passing by and telephones ringing could all serve to sabotage your work success. If you can close your door and ignore these events, success will come easier for you.
5. Can you stay focused and on task while working at home? Due to the remarkable technology we all have available to us, it's easier to lose your concentration on work-related tasks.
6. Consider drawing up a structured schedule. Depending on the type of work you do, it's helpful to have a schedule that reflects what you're working on and how long you want to spend on each task.
7. Plan to dress for the office. So many people dream of getting up and working in their PJs all day, but that's not quite how it works. If you want to be productive in your work day, you have to get up and show up for work. What you wear has a psychological impact on your confidence, motivation, and energy. While you don't have to put on a suit, heels and makeup, you need to make an effort to dress for the office.
8. In the event your work involves prolonged sitting, build time for daily scheduled exercise. A healthy body and mind are also important to success. It's wise to get some physical activity each day.
People just like you all over the world accomplish working at home successfully. With careful planning, personal responsibility, and the ability to screen out distractions, you'll find working at home can be rewarding and liberating.
Do you work from home? What tips and strategies have helped you work successfully at home?
Share them with me!
Live, laugh and unapologetically shine,
Are you a successful professional women who has climbed the wrong ladder of success and now can't find your way down? I'm here to help you get vision clarity on what you're meant to do, build a powerful personal brand to support you and create the action plan you need to make it a reality. If you're ready for something more....let's connect!
In addition to joining my community of powerful successful women, you'll receive other valuable resources to support you on your journey to do the work you were meant to do and be who you're meant to be!