What to Consider When Going From Team Member to Team LeaderMar 15, 2023
Congratulations, you've been promoted. As you transition into your new role, it's important to prepare yourself to lead your team effectively. Just because you were a high-level producer doesn't mean you'll be an effective leader. Being a manager requires a different set of skills and responsibilities if you want to be successful.
In my segment on the AMNW Morning Show, I shared essential tips on how to position yourself for a successful transition into your new leadership role. You can watch the entire episode below.
1. Get clear on your role and expectations: As a team leader, you'll have many new responsibilities and need to manage team dynamics. Be sure you clearly understand what's expected of you in your new role so you can adjust to these new responsibilities.
2. Build credibility by building relationships: Developing positive relationships with team members is critical, so take the time to get to know your team members. It will go a long way in building credibility and trust.
3. Level up your communication skills: Effective communication is critical in any leadership role. Whether setting goals and expectations for your team, delivering feedback, or resolving conflict, you must master clarity, active listening, empathy, and your ability to influence and inspire.
4. Learn how and when to delegate: Delegating tasks to team members is integral to being a leader. Be sure to delegate tasks appropriately based on team members' strengths and weaknesses.
5. Find your backbone: As a leader, you'll be called upon to make tough decisions, such as laying off team members, cutting budgets, and balancing competing priorities. While holding team members accountable, you'll need to grow and develop as a leader and learn how to be responsible to your team.
Becoming a new manager can be challenging and exciting, but with these strategies in mind, you can navigate the transition from team member to manager and excel in your new role.
You also may want to listen to the Midlife Career Rebel Podcast Episode #57 - What If I Don't Want to Step Into Leadership?
Elevate your leadership journey with our exclusive VIP Leadership Accelerator! Our transformative support services offer women the golden opportunity to supercharge their skills, conquer their goals, and soar to unprecedented heights in their careers.
Specifically, we're prepared to support you in these areas:
1️⃣ Lead Now! Leadership Assessment: Gain a profound understanding of your leadership style and strengths to chart a clear path to success.
2️⃣ Emotional Intelligence Assessment: Elevate your EQ and master the art of effective leadership through self-awareness and empathy.
3️⃣ LinkedIn ReBrand: Transform your professional presence on the world's leading business platform, making powerful connections and showcasing your expertise.
4️⃣ Personal Brand & Executive Presence Coaching: Craft a unique personal brand that stands out, and exude executive presence that commands attention and respect.
5️⃣ Executive Leadership Development Coaching: Elevate your leadership skills through personalized coaching tailored to your goals and aspirations.
Ready to embark on this exciting journey?
Fill out the form below, and let's kickstart your VIP experience today.
Your path to extraordinary leadership awaits! 🌟
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.